Thursday, September 17, 2009

Adapting a WebQuest

I have found a pre-existing WebQuest that I like a lot: Gatsby Meets the Press

The reasons I have chosen this WebQuest are:
  • An essential part of understanding literature to its highest potential is understanding the time period in which it was written and/or takes place. This project helps readers to understand the Great Gatsby by understanding the culture of the roaring 20's.
  • This project incorporates research, history, reading and comprehension skills along with journalistic writing skills. It also encourages exploration of the newspaper, a medium that students are not often asked to use.
  • Each student has his or her own pages to create, yet it all comes together as one newspaper, encouraging individual and group effort.

The things that I will be changing are:

  • The Introduction - I will be rewording the introduction to make the expectations a little clearer to the student
  • The Task - I will be eliminating the competition aspect of the project in order to provide a less hostile working environment and allow more focus on the creation of the project rather than the finished product itself.
  • The Process - I will be taking away the option of research. Students must do research to incorporate in their project. I will also be providing links to help with this research.
  • The overall look of the WebQuest will also be changed

The things that do not need changed are:

  • The grammar does not appear to need changed or corrected.
  • The links provided are relevant and helpful and are also working.
  • The creator has already given permission for use of the WebQuest, so I will not need to request it.

This looks like a fun activity that I would definitely incorporate in my own classroom.

1 comment:

  1. You identified significant areas for improvement! I'm looking forward to seeing the final product!

    ReplyDelete